Sunday, November 22, 2015

Digital Art: Rainbows and a Steam Punk Alien

So, with a brand, shiny (literally, it's a gold one) new iPhone 6s, I could do a lot more things with my phone. And one of them is making graphic designs. I'm not a pro, but there's a ton of apps on the app store that makes this process really easy. This time, I used an app called "Assembly". Sadly this one is only available on the iOS (no surprises there, sorry Android folks), at least for now. It's a freemium app. Completely free to use, but addition packs of shapes cost money. They do offer a 'forever unlock' for USD 12 though, and since the week or so when I downloaded it, there's already a new pack. 

Anyway... my first attempt was for something Arashi related... I've been wanting to make some sort of a rainbow with 5 colors...
Initially I made the rainbow with line arcs... but then I realised I couldn't color it in on this app.

So I tried it again, with solid arcs this time. Because of the resizing, the arches are actually of different thickness... I had to use the next arc to 'cut' the previous one down to size.



The end result? I guess it's decent. Doesn't look too fantastic...

Next I tried making some steam punkish random design. I just started with a shape and added on. This time, I used one of their default color schemes, and I think the design turned out pretty great! Comparing this to the rainbow... I guess colors makes a huge difference... Can't be helped though, the rainbow is Arashi themed. Maybe I can still tweak the colors to make it look more 'posh' though. Moving further away from the standard RBG should make it look less.... cheap and more polished.

I've yet to try it out... will update when I do!

Looking at many of the new apps adapting a 'modern' interface, you can easily see the hue the colors used fall into.

Either way, lesson no. 1: colors are important!



Here's a look at my design in the app. Yes, the alien beam is actually half a bamboo.

The app lets you save the picture to your phone library (Duh!), and it also lets you export to PNG, SVG, and PDF. Now that's something that regular, run of the mill drawing apps won't let you do.

After saving the photo to your library, the social media sharing options pop out, so it's easy to share your wonderful creations on twitter, instagram, facebook etc. 

Here's the same design, with an Instagram filter.


The app is by the makers of photo editing apps like Union, Lory Stripes, Matter and Fragment.  The other apps are not free (you can get them for all for USD 10) though. I first started using Matter and really liked the app, then I tried their other photography apps. Initially I didn't realise that this Assembly app is by the same company, but looking back, I can see the similarities in the interface, and elegance of the designs.

You can use the shapes created here in their photo Union app too. Not tried that yet either! So many things to try out on my phone!

That's all for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment